Knowledge Corner – Weekend Reads

Kameera: Surrounded by Light (sanskrit)

At Tamohara, we take reading seriously, and go through a variety of analyses, perspectives and news from across the world. Our team curates the most insightful of these to share with you, on a weekly basis. These include blog posts, thought pieces, papers and more that will ensure you have quality reading every weekend.

You can get these curated reads in your inbox, every Saturday. Sign up here.

Curated reads for April 27, 2019

ON INVESTING

This week, we share two interesting reads about the fast growing technology firms of today's world. The fist one raises a question around the moat and sustainability of the tech unicorns - both current and emerging - while the second one asks if portfolio managers should make capital allocation decisions like those made by the leaders at technology firms?

A. The number of unicorns (and would-be's) has increased dramatically in the past few years. However, of a dozen unicorns that have listed, or are likely to, posted combined losses of $14bn last year. Their services are often deeply discounted in order to supercharge revenue growth. Some even lack the economies of scale and barriers to entry that their promoters proclaim, while the regulators seem to be tightening their claws. In light of these, shouldn't investors take a step back and think about the moats of these businesses, or the stickiness of their customers, and thus the long term survival of these businesses? Shouldn't investors demand lower prices in IPOs or stay away from them? Read more



B. Moonshots - low probability, high payoff - investments have paid off well for the tech unicorns and giants of the present day. Should portfolio managers take a leaf from these entrepreneur's book and look for investments that have a low probability of success but high payoffs in case of success? Read more



ON BIASES

Most biases work against us in one way or another. However, there are some biases that work for us. For instance, a new study found that when it comes to money, optimists are more likely to make smart moves and reap the benefits. Read more



LESSONS FROM HISTORY

A video depicting the rise and fall of Jet Airways. Is this the end though? Only time will tell Read more



LEARNING & DEVELOPMENT

Two articles that provide a perspective on Memory. The first one talks about the importance of traditional memory in an era of expanding external memories. The second one talks about how we’re using 21st century tools in 20th century learning environments with 19th century methodology. It proposes a new way of learning - by creating associations at the margin.

i) Memory is fickle,and highly under-appreciated in the era of google and cloud computing. However, like Warren Buffett, finding patterns and assimilating them into a tapestry is what makes you a better thinker. Read more



ii) Memory is better formed through associations - we learn and remember concepts better when we can link one to another. If you think of learning as a two dimensional tool - the horizontal axis representing different ideas/subject and the vertical axis representing depth. In the old world, you would focus on the vertical axis first and then the horizontal axis - understand one subject/idea in depth before learning a new one. The new world, however, affords a new way of learning, by focusing on the horizontal and the vertical axes together. Read more



DID YOU KNOW?

The distribution of lies follows Pareto’s principle: 20% of people tell 80% of the lies, and 80% of people account for the remaining 20% of lies. Here's everything you need to know about lying, and how to deal with it. Read more



View posts from: 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 |

Explore original thinking from Tamohara

Our team reads assiduously, and distils insights to develop monthly pieces, in our newsletter, Asmayu. If you enjoy our curated reads, you will find the newsletter enlightening!

Explore
TAMOHARA INVESTMENT MANAGERS PVT. LTD. IS A SEBI REGISTERED PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SERVICE PROVIDER, VIDE REGISTRATION NUMBER INP000004763 CIN No: U74999MH2014PTC258390
Contact us

Email: info@tamohara.net

Tel: +91-22-26305590

Address:

Tamohara Investment Managers Pvt. Ltd. 1402- Peninsula Park,
Off Veera Desai Road,
Andheri (W) Mumbai - 400053

Registered Office:

71-A,
Mittal Chambers, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400021

SEBI registration number: INP000004763
RIA registration number: INA000013873
CIN: U74999MH2014PTC258390